Friday, May 06, 2005

It is time for me to create a new post. So much has... not happened.

I am looking forward to summer. Cam and I are going to live in this sweet apartment way down south of town that's way nicer a place than either of us should be able to afford, but we're getting a deal on it. I was talking to Aja today and it turns out that she and her boyfriend are moving into an apartment right across the hall from us. That's just plain weird, but on the plus side, I'll have my cribbage buddy right next door, basically. Then we just signed the lease for the place we'll be living next semester, and it's also 25o a month. Hooray for cheapness. That place is like a garbage can compared to the place we'll be living during the summer, but I like it quite a bit. It has "character," and you can interpret that basically how you want to, and it would probably be right.

On the job front, I have a couple things open right now. Jiffy Lube called me and said I should come in and interview for a job with them. That might be fun but I don't know anything about cars so I might not get the job. I also applied for several jobs requiring resumes, which is a bold new frontier for me, and one company, an insurance company, has already contacted me and sent me a "prequalification interview" which I promptly filled out and returned. This job would pay 9 bucks an hour starting and would be full time, 8:30-5 Monday through Friday, and I think this would be the job to go for, as it would be great to put on a resume. Then I would finally have something on there besides "Sandwich Artist: Duties: Make sandwiches, be treated like a bitch."

Speaking of resumes, they're a weird beast. I forgot how to write a resume because I took a class about it at some point in high school and haven't written one since then. So I got on the internet and figured out what all's supposed to go in a resume. So basically a resume is a nice way to say "Lie to me about what you've done at your jobs in the past." Because what I do at Subway is make food and be treated like a bitch. But what I wrote on the resume sounded much more poetic. "Involved in all aspects of customer service, from making the food to answering the phones, answering questions and taking orders." That's just one of about eight points I made using vague language that made it sound like what I do is real work. Technically, I'm not lying. But I still felt a little dirty after I wrote all that.

There are a couple things I'm getting tired of. One, I don't currently, never have in the past, and probably never will in the future think that drinking alcohol is cool. People who tell me how much they drank, then blacked out/threw up/"hooked up" with some stranger are not impressing me, though they seem to think they are. Drinking a lot and being stupid are not skills. Vomiting is not something I like to do. I generally enjoy being able to remember where I've been and what I've done. And finally, I'm old fashioned and I think that relationships are the way to go. But I'm not moral and I'm going to hell because I'm not Christian. Whatever.

Secondly, a lot of dudes have been talking to me about their sexual escapades recently. Cam and I are of the school where we don't so much talk about that stuff. For me, anyway, it's again not something to brag about. It's a personal thing, and it's meaningful, and I don't really care about the "quickie" you got from some girl before work. If these people cared about the people they're with, they wouldn't go around divulging that information.

And third, girls will not look me in the eye. I don't know if it's just me, or if it's all guys, but they seem to have a major problem with eye contact. I think this is due to the unfortunate fact that they've been taught that all guys are trying to do all the time is get in their pants. Don't get me wrong, that's completely true, but we could at least go around pretending like we're just having a conversation. When I talk to people I like to look them in the eye, and it bugs me when I'm not getting any eye contact in return. There's nothing sexual about my asking if you want chips or a drink with that. I'm miserable, I'm doing my job, and the last thing on my mind is sex. The first thing on my mind is "Six days left of this job." That's actually the only thing on my mind, besides the usual "I hate you" or "I hate this job" or "I hate (insert noun here)."

Moving on to music, I think everyone should listen to the Glow. They're like an oldies band but new. It's way good, organ driven rock music. A couple songs even have the old "shoobie doo wop" backing vocals. It's a trip. I also still think that punk rock is the best music on the planet. Though I'm getting away from it a little bit, the raw passion that punk can have is amazing. This is found mostly in new punk bands, and they generally lose it when they sign to a big label. Sometimes I just want noise, I just want to turn off my brain and thrash around on the ground and scream at the top of my lungs, because then, for a minute, everything fades and everything is okay again.

No comments:

Post a Comment