Friday, July 15, 2005

Hello everyone. It’s Friday, and, in conjunction with this joyous time, I present to you the latest installment in my musical journey through hell. I’m hoping that the extreme euphoria you possess knowing that the weekend is here will influence your judgment of the new song. Just to bring you up to speed: We’ve now traveled through the inner-workings of hell itself and are now surfacing, which means that the pain and scaring memories associated with the past songs can now dissolve, as you’ve left that world. Or something deep and dramatic like that. The point is, Adam heard this new song early since he’s just cool like that and he gives it his seal of approval. I’m not quite sure how much that equates to, but it’s something, so I’ll take it. Let’s jump right in.

Once again, this whole sentence is your portal to the outer world where you can abandon all those preconceived notions of the poor quality of songwriting you’ve witnessed heretofore. On a side note, I believe that’s the first (and most likely last) time I’ve ever used the word "heretofore." Since I liked the format last week, we’ll go lyrics and then ramblings.

Call from a Pay Phone
Under pearl gray skies, through dead wood brown eyes, I dial the seven digits tagged for you just to hear your voice trickle through the line and enter the recesses of my mind to stimulate the image of you smiling there with the moon sparkling your hair. To say I was unprepared to say "goodbye for now" would be a gross understatement. That night when you whispered, "I wish I was beautiful," I said, "were" both to be grammatically correct and to remind you that, at least in the present, your wish has been paid in full. But, if you want, let’s go back to those days when we were eighteen and feared the future. Let’s play make-believe and wash those doubts away with the same bar of soap we’ll use to rinse our filthy mouths from damning these days, damning these ways, damning these people, damning life for being so damn literal. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned, it’s that home is not a place, but a foundation where I lie my head on your chest and watch the world rise and fall.

What you just read, that last line, that’s pretty much the best thing I’ve ever written. So just think: it’s all downhill from here! The remarkable thing about this song is that it’s actually inspired by a dream I had. Okay, that didn’t sound so remarkable since lots of artists get inspired by dreams, but it’s special for me since I rarely remember my dreams. But one time last summer I had a dream where I put my head on this girl’s chest and watched the world rise and fall with the rhythm of her breathing. Since I was/am new to the whole remembering details from dreams, the face and name escapes me, but whoever you are, thanks! It might not even be a real person, for all I know. Regardless, I set out to write a happy song and a happy song this is. Also, unlike most of my other songs, this went through one or two drafts. Generally I just sit down and churn out a song and tweak certain elements, but this went through a couple re-writes. I’m really happy with the results, and I hope you are, too. Also, for the first time ever in the history of music, a song has featured a grammar joke. That one’s going out to all you grammar nuts out there. Now stop harassing me about how "lie" should be "lay" in the last line. Other nitpickers would mention that, this being a long distance call from a pay phone, you’d have to actually type in eleven numbers (1 + area code + 7 digits). To these people I say: shut up, Brian, you’re giving yourself away.

In other music news, look for a magazine called The Believer at your local bookstore. It’ll be under the literature section, most likely. The June/July issue includes a free cd with all sorts of nifty independent artists covering other spiffy independent artists. Definitely worth checking out, in my opinion. Also (well, not really "also" since this is something entirely different), I think something weird is going on with the comments to our entries. I question this not because I didn’t get 8000 screaming fans commenting on my last song (in anger), but because that post Adam had with his run-in with the police is hilarious and people definitely should’ve left notes of encouragement for when he’ll be put on trial for being a sex offender. So if that’s the case, then let us know so we can maybe get help to fix it. Otherwise, keep up the good job of commenting only on the classy stuff. With that kind of mentality we’ll probably never get a comment again. But hey, it’s Friday! Enjoy the weekend! Speak as if all of your sentences ended in exclamation points and irritate the people around you!

No comments:

Post a Comment