Monday, May 03, 2010

So, you've probably heard about the bomb scare in Times Square, right? It was Saturday. I was actually downtown on Saturday. I was just walking around, enjoying the weather. Went from Penn Station to the Staten Island Ferry. Quite a walk, for you non-New Yorkers. Anyway, I wasn't actually in Times Square at all on Saturday, so I had no idea anything was going on until I read the news Sunday morning. Still, it's a little unnerving. I've always known in the back of my mind that there's a potential for a terrorist attack, but it's not really something I think about. It's pointless to worry about something that might maybe potentially happen. I love this city. I love the subway. I love the crowds and the bustle and the energy. And I'm not about to stop loving any of those things less just because there's a risk involved with living here. The chance of something catastrophic happening is incredibly slim. I certainly hope we can avoid another tragic event, but, if one does happen, and if I happen to die as a result of that, that'd be fine. Because at least I had the opportunity to live here, in the best place I've ever lived. So, to all the people trying to scare us: fuck you. It's not going to work. It's not worth it go through life afraid, regardless of where you live.

No comments:

Post a Comment