Friday, June 18, 2010

The Gaslight Anthem has grown up. That seems to be the theme of their new album, American Slang. This is an older band. One that's matured since the days they'd blaze through two-and-a-half minute punk (?) songs on their debut LP, Sink or Swim. They aren't the sentimental, reference-filled band from The '59 Sound. There are no Marias on American Slang. No Virginias. They still talk about dancing and friends and the city, but it's not the same. Which is a risky move, considering they could've rested on their laurels and released The '59 Sound: Part 2 and it would've been a huge success. Instead, they take the overall sound of what they did before, revamped it a little, tweaked the lyrical content, and released an amazing record.

(I was going to go into this whole in-depth review thing, but then I realized we aren't Pitchfork [thank god], so I'll spare you. Instead, the highlights.) "Stay Lucky," "Bring it On," "Boxer," "Old Haunts," and "We Did it When We Were Young" are the stand-outs for me. "The Diamond Church Street Choir" is pretty good, but Brian's voice (which, let's be honest, has never been the best voice in the world) kind of loses it. "The Queen of Lower Chelsea" is the only somewhat disappointing tune, to me. It's a slower jam, which I'm cool with ("Blue Jeans and White T-Shirts" is one of my favorite Gaslight songs, plus the aforementioned "We Did It"), but it just doesn't seem to ever reach a climactic point or something. I like it, but that one guitar riff kind of annoys me. Oh well.

So, is American Slang better than The '59 Sound? Hard for me to say right now. I do know I like it a helluva lot. They faced a daunting task, following up an album as strong as The '59 Sound. And they complicate matters even more by establishing a change in tone. Thankfully, they pulled it off. I think American Slang might be a transitional album for The Gaslight Anthem. I wouldn't be surprised if, a few years from now, we get an even more polished, an even more mature band.

(Also, bravo to Against Me! I agree with Adam -- their new album rocks. I have to tell myself it's a different band from the Axl Rose days, but Tom's still got it. He knows how to write a hook, that's for sure. With White Crosses, Against Me! was either going to go by the indie-label-to-major-label wayside, or reinstate their relevance. I'm glad they're still around.)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I was going to write a review of that album and it would have pretty much been the same thing. I do like how his voice can't quite handle The Diamond Church Street Choir though. You're right, the only song that's not up to snuff is The Queen of Lower Chelsea. I don't know if it'll ever beat The '59 Sound, but it's a great album in its own right.

    ReplyDelete