Thursday, December 16, 2004

I'm going home today and to Georgia tomorrow. I'll be back on January 2, so after that date, you, dear reader, and I, enlightened writer, should hang out. My birthday is December 23, so when I come back I'll actually be able to go places with those of my friends who are older than me (basically everyone I know except Eric and Charlie).

Monday I had this class party for my creative writing class, which I expected to suck, but turned out to be pretty fun. I didn't do anything to alter my mind, but I did like hanging out with the folks (most of them) from that class. There's some interesting characters in there. It makes me wish I'd tried talking to some of them earlier. Oh well. Caleb is graduating on Saturday, so happy graduation to him. Max and Justin and Kate and Brooke and Melissa, I guess I'll see you guys next semester at some point.

Me and Leslie (yes, that's right, me and Leslie) played dominoes with Caleb and a couple of his friends last night. I don't think I've ever actually played dominoes, but it was pretty fun. It was hard to think for various reasons, such as it being ridiculously late, but I won. Because I am the master of cards (except for that I never win) and dominoes is basically like a card game. Good stuff. Maybe I'll ask for some dominoes for my birthday or Christmas, and teach everyone how to play.

I won this contest, the "Fan of the Week" contest, at Suburban Home Records. So if you go to www.suburbanhomerecords.com this week and click the "Fan of the Week" button at the top of the page, you can see me. I won a CD of my choice, and I chose the new Laymen Terms album, which is really really good. Their last full length, "Since Last December" was a good album,but the new one, "Drive to Nowhere: Verity's Novel" expands on it in just about every way. It's good stuff, believe you me. I also got the new Suburban Home Distro compilation CD. I don't know if anyone cares, but Suburban Home is a local record label with five bands on their roster, and they put out a bunch of stuff from other labels. So if you're at all into supporting music instead of big corporations, I'd really suggest you check out some bands on their label (The Gamits [catchy fun punk], Laymen Terms [excellent guitar driven rock], Love Me Destroyer [harder but still catchy rock], The Aeffect [interesting techno pop stuff]) or check out their distro catalog (Alkaline Trio, Against Me!, among others) and order some stuff from them. It gets to us here in Colorado in a day or so, and across the country in a week or two. And it's all really reasonably priced. So that's my spiel.

School and work are over for the semester. Thank Jove for that. I should be getting about all B's, because that's the amount of effort I put out this semester. That doesn't bother me at all. On a positive note about work, my good friend from last semester, Mackenzie, is coming back to Subway next semester. Hopefully she works with me because I enjoy her hateful attitude towards everyone, because I'm like that. It's a pessimism filled hate fest when we work together, and it makes things more bearable. On the negative side, my clothes smell like Subway and I want to vomit.

I sold my books back for some money. I went twice because I had a ton of books and I didn't want to see that "I'm going to kill you" look in the bookstore guy's eye. Last time I went I took all my books at once and the guy seriously looked like he could attack me at any second. So I was supposed to get a coupon for a free burrito for selling 75 bucks worth of books, but the first day I didn't get one even though I sold 90 bucks. The second day I only sold 72 bucks or so, but I got one because I flirted with the gay guy working there. I must be damn sexy in my contacts, which I wear on almost a daily basis now. I don't wear them on days when I sleep too late and have to get somewhere, because I'm still not all that quick about getting them on (5-10 minutes seems to be the norm). And getting them off is a debacle indeed. But I do like them better than glasses once they're in, because there's no weight on the nose, and there's no outline where I can't see. Now I just need to wait another couple months to get my supply refilled with the right prescription.

Happy Birthday to Trista, who turned 21 on December 10.

And happy holidays to the following people, and absolutely no one else: Leslie, Brian, Mom, Dad, Aaron, Afton, Grandma, Grandpa, Mary Beth, Janet, Kirsten, Alysia, Clay, Jeremy, Diane, Liz, Todd, Cam, Eric, Charlie, Carolina, Trista, Caleb, Michelle, Brooke, Max, Justin, the rest of my family, Brian's family, Leslie's family, and the guys who make South Park and Drawn Together.

No comments:

Post a Comment