Sunday, March 20, 2005

We made it back alive. There were some sketchy moments, but we managed to make it to and from Texas with no tickets and no deaths. The 14 hour drive into Dallas started at 3pm and ended around 5:30am Texas time. Then though I was too tired to do anything else and just wanted to go inside, Cam said it was too early (he was probably right) and so we drove around until 7, then we went inside and passed out on the couch or floor, depending on who we are.... yeah. So the next day we went via train and saw some of downtown Dallas, including where JFK was shot. We went through the museum. Outside crazy conspiracy guys talked to us and tried to get us to buy their crazy conspiracy books. Then we went to a delicious barbecue place that had fried okra! I was so excited! I ate it and it was delicious! I forgot I was in the south and wondered why they had fried okra. Then I remembered where in America Texas is.

Saint Patrick's day we didn't go out. We went and saw Sideways for free because Dave is a master lockpicker. Or he worked at the theater and knows how to do that. It was good but could have been half an hour-15 minutes shorter. Anyway... oh, that's what we did that day. On 7 bucks we played lazer tag, putt putt golf, and arcade games. Yay for middle of the day, midweek specials. I came in second in putt putt. I'm no good at lazer tag. I lost both games of air hockey. But I had a good time. And we met Dave's girlfriend and she seemed cool, but we were all tired so we didn't get much socializing in.

Third day was the Against Me! concert in Houston, which, despite being right next to Dallas on a map, is four hours away. We ate at a cajun place because Cam had never had Cajun food being from Oregon. It was good but the green beans tasted funny. Then we drove. Watched the concert, at which they played Impact, which they said they'd never play again, plus six new songs. The four opening acts were nothing to shout about. They ranged from bad (O Pioneers, Communique) to mediocre (Saw Wheel, Smoke or Fire). The place was all tiny though, which made for a good energy, but bad being able to see and enjoy the music show. Then we drove all 17 hours back home. We were driving having had no sleep for 27 hours. It was very bad and I don't think I would do it again. But it's like free drugs. Which is good or bad. We ate at IHOP smelling like cigarettes from the concert and sweat, our hair was all messed up, we hadn't shaved in a week. We couldn't think straight to talk to the waiter. Then I came home and went to sleep for like 14 hours.

Today I tried to read but I don't think it's happening. Too hard to transition back into school after all that time off. We visited lovely Kanorado, which is a scary, scary town. We got saved from tickets twice. The first time this guy kept following me no matter how fast I went, so I got upset, then he got pulled over instead of me. The second time we were following someone and I had to pee. Then we found them pulled over down the road a ways. Gas is expensive. The new Lucero song on the Atticus comp is way good. I'm hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment