Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Grab your Ritalin, because this post is going to be all over the-

So, Iran. What a crazy situation. I've gotta say, when Bush got re-elected in 2004, I kind of wish something similar had happened here. There's just something about huge masses of upset people who are so pissed-off they're willing to risk their health/lives/well-being to stand up for what they believe in. It gets me every time.

I've been listening to Dire Straits recently. The "Making Movies" album, mostly, but also "Brothers in Arms." How the hell have I overlooked this iconic band for so long?

Here's how I came about digging Dire Straits: Last week, one week ago today, I picked up the key to my apartment in Queens, NY. Driving back from Queens, I was flipping through the radio stations, getting a feel for what kind of stuff they play in New York City. I stumbled upon a classic rock station that, no shit, played a solid hour of the greatest classic rock songs I've ever heard amassed on Clear Channel-sponsored radio. My only complaint? The commercials. I'm spoiled by listening to CDs or public radio, where you don't get the onslaught of ads. So, out of that hour, a good fifteen minutes was probably commercials. Still, the part that wasn't trying to sell me stuff was unadulterated rock. One of the songs happened to be "Sultans of Swing." I said to myself, "You know, I like this song. But I've never really listened to Dire Straits." I thought that, just like that, with the quotation marks and everything. Anyway, upon coming back home, I did some research using the fantastic allmusic.com. "Brothers in Arms" is their recommended pick, but "Making Movies" got the highest score. My question to you (Adam, Cam, Leslie, my sister -- I think that sums up our readership) is: which album should I try next?

Speaking of New York, I've purchased my ticket for The Weakerthans at the Bowery Ballroom. Perhaps the first concert I'll see up in city as a resident. So cool.

Finally, I won't be reading a non-fiction science book for May/June. I ran out of time. It took me most of the two months to finish Roberto Bolano's mammoth "The Savage Detectives." Unfortunately, it was a decidedly average book. Held my interest enough to get through, but never really grabbed me. Near the end, I found myself reading it more just to finish it, rather than to discover the conclusion. Not a good sign. Also: I figure that, what with school starting up in August, I will no longer have much time/desire to do fun reading, so I was bound to flake out, eventually. Why not now?

No comments:

Post a Comment