Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Big news around these parts, huh? Adam packing up and moving to Denver. Me packing up and moving to New York City. Or Queens. Close enough. Crazy.

So, yeah, my unpacking is pretty much complete. I need to buy another bookshelf to store the crazy amount of books I have, but, other than that, I'm in good shape. My living room is completely set up and looks amazing, if I do say so myself. All that's missing is some high-quality artwork made from various artist friends of mine (thanks, Ben, Chris, and John). And the reason that's missing is because I'm an idiot and forgot to pack thumbtacks/nails. But, once I get the proper supplies, you can expect some one-of-a-kind stuff to line these walls.

This is getting too self-indulgent, my self-indulgent meter is telling me. Watch me dodge the topic by talking about As Tall As Lions. I last brought them up in April, when their self-titled album made my list of Top 25 albums. That album, oddly enough, is not their debut CD. Their debut is an album called Lafcadio. For the longest time, I thought that the self-titled album was a stronger album. And, for a new listener to the band, I think it is. However, Lafcadio is still an incredible, incredible album. It's slower, mellower, and takes its time delivering the goods. But if you're patient (I've had this album for about five years now), then it'll pay off. Hugely. Tremendously. Now, I'm not saying that it takes five years to fully grasp the brilliance of this record. But what I am saying is that this CD has stuck with me for this long and I'm only now getting to a point where I think it's nearly flawless. I can't say that about too many of my other records. So check them out, if you get a chance.

And I'm back. Sorry about that. Of course, when you're reading this, no time will have passed. But, for me, while I wrote this, twenty minutes passed. In that time, I decided to look up As Tall As Lions' MySpace page. Once there, I discovered that they not only have a new CD coming out that you can pre-order (I did), but also are playing a show at Irving Plaza next week. Neato! (My use of the word "neato" automatically negates any cool/hip connotation I hoped to affix to said show.)

So, there you have it. Looks like the first show I'll be seeing here in New York isn't going to be The Weakerthans in September. But it'll be As Tall As Lions, RX Bandits (!), and Dredg (!!) all in one place. Neato!

No comments:

Post a Comment