Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy Birthday to Brian! Brian Kim was born in a small village on the outskirts of Kiltimagh, Ireland on this day back in 1941. He worked with his 14 siblings on a goat ranch growing up, and was named Miss Goat Ranch Kiltimagh in 1957. He was an accomplished goat cheeser and left Ireland for the US in 1959. He learned to speak real English at the Saint Mary's School for the Blind, and subsequently became a Buddhist monk. He lived in silence and secrecy and celibacy (not by choice) until 1988, when he met me and his life changed forever. Now Mr. Kim is a New Yorker, and his sour demeanor and giant middle finger have helped him become one of New York's most prominent graduate students. Let's all wish Mr. Miss Goat Ranch Kiltimagh 1957 Brian Kim a Happy Birthday!

I saw Lucero the other day. I think I might have seen them too much too fast, since Cam and I just went and saw them a couple months ago when they were here. And that show was better. This one the sound was just muddy. Still good though. Shooter Jennings' band Heirophant was first and they were okay for like 30 minutes, but they played for 90 FUCKING MINUTES! Opening bands, please note: You should shoot for 30 minutes. If you're a well known band, you can get away with 45. But nobody paid to see you play an hour and a half set, so don't waste our time. We put up with opening bands. We really want to see Lucero. Lucero played a very solid setlist, which included these songs:

ATTIC TAPES + BONUS STUFF
-Kiss the Bottle

LUCERO
-Drink Till We're Gone
-All Sewn Up (closer, as always)
-Wasted
-It Gets the Worst at Night (awesome, don't know if I've seen them do this one before)

TENNESSEE
-Sweet Little Thing (awesome)
-Slow Dancing (awesome)
-Nights Like These (awesome... I love this album)
-I'll Just Fall (awesome)

THAT MUCH FURTHER WEST
-That Much Further West
-Joining the Army
-Tears Don't Matter Much

NOBODY'S DARLINGS
-Bikeriders
-Sixteen
-Hold Me Close
-Last Night In Town
-The War

REBELS, ROGUES, AND SWORN BROTHERS
-What Else Would You Have Me Be?
-I Can Get Us Out of Here

1372 OVERTON PARK
-Smoke
-Sounds of the City (opener, for the second time in a row)
-Can't Feel a Thing
-The Devil and Maggie Chascarillo
-Sixes and Sevens
-Goodbye Again
-Darken My Door
-Mom

BEN SOLO
-The Last Pale Light in the West
-Some song about Colorado I've never heard before

While there are songs that I wish they would have played again (Chain Link Fence, My Best Girl, What Are You Willing to Lose? [which for some reason they haven't played either time I've seen them touring on this album], etc), it's hard to argue with that setlist. A ton of songs, representing every album, and really no songs that I don't particularly like. If only the sound in the Bluebird had been as good as the last time I saw them.

1 comment:

  1. Nice. I think I'm going to use that as my author's bio from now on.

    Also, what's up with Lucero not playing "What Are You Willing to Lose?" live? They tour with a horn section + it's a song with great horns + it's a song that's kick-ass in general = it should be a common-sense pick for the set list. Whatevs.

    ReplyDelete