Thursday, June 03, 2004

Here's something I could do without: back-to-back commercials for the same product. Who was the marketing genius who thought this was a good idea? "Ok, see, we show a commercial once and the audience will just dismiss it immediately- especially if it's for a drug or alcoholic beverage. But, if we then show a second commercial right after the first one, everyone will change their mind and like our product!" Yeah, that's exactly how it goes. Because I just can't get enough of hearing about Ted or whomever, and how his life turned around because he started to take a natural male enhancer that causes him to have a smile permanently etched on his face. Or how this woman lost her libido, but, thanks to a miracle pill, is now hornier than a prepubescent teenage boy. And, please, just shove down my throat the fact that your alcoholic beverage is better than everyone else's- I don't care. In fact, the only time I've ever found this back-to-back deal to be acceptable is for the Puma commercials about the Summer Olympics. And that's only because seeing an old guy grab a stick, then magically pop into neon green running shoes and take off running down the street is funny. I forget what the other commercial is that that one is paired with, but that's a good one, so I'll allow it. Still, I could really do without this.

Speaking of commercials, networks need to switch it up a bit. I know Cartoon Network (when I'd watch Adult Swim at school) would tend to play the same ones over and over and over and over and over. Notably, the preview for Hellboy. That killed me. I have zero tolerance for that preview and won't ever consider seeing it having been subjected to the awful 30 second spot about a bajillion times. Also, I've been watching Bravo lately since they've been airing 3rd season episodes of the West Wing, and they keep playing the same ads over and over, and it's just annoying. So, please, let's get some new commercials, huh? Or let's get rid of them entirely. I'm sick of hearing about products I could really care less about.

What's that, you say? What good music should you pick up? Well, I'm glad you asked. If you don't have the 3 essential CDs that came out on the 18th of May, then you are a fool. The Joey Cape/Tony Sly acoustic split, Sleep Station's After the War, and As Tall As Lion's Lafcadio (how one pronounces that is beyond me) are all extremely good. Check them out. You may even be able to find them at your local record store. Who knows.

So I (finally) got a summer job, not like anyone cares. I'll be delivering pizzas for Papa John's. I look forward to it, I think it'll be fun. I just hope I don't get into an accident or held up at gun point or something, that'd kind of suck. Sunday's my first day, so we'll see how that goes. And here's a really depressing factoid: I only have to earn 2 dollars in tips every hour to get paid more per hour at Papa John's than I did at Shoppers Food Warehouse. That kills me. Shoppers really screwed me over with my wage, I don't think I'll ever be going back there.

Cicadas are ugly motherfuckers. You guys in Colorado, be thankful you don't have to deal with them. It's not like they're all over the place, but there's a constant hum during the day since they make noise. And if one were to ever land on you, that's just extremely gross since they are ugly, ugly bugs.

August 15th seems like a long time away. The 15th is when I can finally move into the townhouse back at school. I'm so excited about it, I can't wait. I have a feeling it'll be an awesome year. And I'm gonna try real hard not to be a loser this year, too! Yeah!

I guess that's it for now. The commercials thing was really the only thing I had to talk about, as you could probably figure out since the rest of this is just pointless rambling. So I'm gonna stop wasting your time now. Bottom line: music = good, back-to-back commercials = bad, and cicadas = ugly motherfuckers. And to connect this to what Adam said a while ago, yeah, there should be a comma before the "and." His teachers don't know anything at all about grammar, apparently.

No comments:

Post a Comment