Sunday, April 19, 2009

Hello, friends. Yes, I did have a birthday this past week. I'm actually 54, but hey, Adam was close enough. Anyway, I don't really have a proper update for you. Instead, I'm going to give you the first third of my list of 25 Albums I Most Enjoy/Enjoy Most. See, back when Adam and I first reunited the band (as it were), he said he'd be interested in seeing my list of top 25 albums. Since I'm a jerk (and/or lazy), I'm twisting it a bit. Instead of ranking them from 1 to 25, I'm just going to give you an alphabetical list. This is mostly because I love all of these albums and there's no way I can effectively order them. Now, you may be wondering just what the hell "Most Enjoy/Enjoy Most" means exactly. Basically, these might not be the greatest/best CDs in the world, but they're either the ones that I've played the most or the ones that have give me the most enjoyment (duh). (Apparently I've traded in my love of colons for a love of forward slashes.) Anyway, don't be surprised if you see several repeats from Adam's list. Since he introduced me to punk music back in the day, most of these selections cull from our younger and more vulnerable days when we would swap song and CD suggestions using AOL Instant Messenger. (Seriously, IM? Who the hell uses THAT any more? Actually, probably everyone but me.)

Radiohead - OK Computer: This is the only mainstream album that made the cut. It's also one of the reasons why I don't feel comfortable calling this list a list of 25 Best Albums Ever in the History of the World. I haven't listened to many of the albums in the "classic CD" cannon. However, this is one of them that I have. It's also one of them that I thoroughly, thoroughly agree is worth the hype. This entire album needs to come out for Rock Band. Now.

Rocky Votolato - Suicide Medicine: A fantastic singer-songwriter. Also, he came and played a show in Harrisonburg (my college's poor excuse for a college town). No one came to Harrisonburg! (This is not true. Several bands came to Harrisonburg. But not really.)

Saves the Day - Stay What You Are:
Listening to this CD takes me back to high school. Summer. Playing online card games with Adam. I know no one cares about how dorky we were (Ha! "Were."), but I'm just saying. Saves the Day will never, never, never top this album. Frankly, I'd be okay if they stopped trying. It's not gonna happen, fellas.

Saxon Shore - The Exquisite Death of Saxon Shore: This is the second instrumental album on my list. The songs are fairly short and they're a bit more upbeat, but they still pack quite a punch. If you're feeling like wading into the waters of instrumental music, this is a great place to start.

Sleep Station - After the War: For me, this is the definitive Sleep Station album. Not only are the songs top-notch, but also the sound clips fit in with the rest of the CD without detracting from the mood or feeling like filler.

Some by Sea - On Fire! (Igloo): The only reason I heard about this album was because I reviewed it while working at the radio station. It is one of a handful of true gems to come from the radio station review process. Call it orchestral/chamber pop/indie rock whatever, it's damn good. Catchy, catchy, catchy tunes that will have you singing along with a smile.

Thursday - Full Collapse: This album was in heavy rotation during the end of high school and beginning of college. I still listen to it every now and then, though not nearly as frequently. (Thankfully, I'm also not nearly as angsty as I was back in those days.) I'm consistently pleased with how well it holds up.

The Weakerthans - Left and Leaving:
Strong lyrics? Check. Catchy melodies? Check. Canadian musicians? Check. This album has it all. Extremely superly highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment