Friday, March 19, 2010

Surely the end of the world is near: I have created a Twitter account. Now, this really shouldn't come as a shock; after all, in today's high-tech info-world-blog-sphere-dome-net, I've got gadgets and gizmos aplenty. (The fact that I refer to them by that one line from "The Little Mermaid" should indicate just how out-of-the-loop I am.) So one more link to the massive social-network-ization of the world is really no big deal for someone like me. Sure, skeptics (I) might say: "But Brian, you barely use Facebook. And you're not that interesting." To which I'd say (to myself): "True." Then I'd add: "But surely I can be interesting when I'm constrained to 160 characters." As evidenced by this already long-winded passage, it's not like I have a problem with being needlessly verbose.

All of this is to say: Who knows how long this adventure will last. Maybe a week. Maybe a month. Or maybe I'll rocket to Twitter stardom, surpassing even the greats like Ashton Kutcher, Barack Obama, or FunnyCatsPics. And then maybe I'll sell out and my tweets will become hackneyed and stale and I'll lose all my followers and return to my humble roots, having learned an important lesson about myself and a little thing called hubris. Hey, I can dream.

Coming up with a Twitter name was surprisingly difficult. There are lots of Brian Kims out there. The guy who actually has BrianKim is a jerk. He only has one tweet: "Subscribing." It's from 2007. He's only following one person, yet has 24 followers. Honestly, who's still following a guy with only one tweet from three years ago? I would totally (hypothetically) make way more use (for now) of that account than he does (did). Also, just since I was curious, I looked up AdamJones. He only has two tweets, both from two years ago. They're both about pizza. Maybe that one really is Adam, who knows.

I finally decided on YetAnotherBrian. I wanted it to be YetAnotherBrianKim, but Twitter cut me off after the "n" in "Brian." Worked out well, otherwise I could've been "YetAnotherBr" or "YetAnotherBria," which just doesn't make as much sense. So follow me, Twitter-folks (whatever you're called). And maybe, just maybe, we'll all learn a little something about laughter, love, and what it means to sell out.

No comments:

Post a Comment