Friday, March 19, 2010

Yesterday I was in shorts, playing tennis outside. Today there are three inches of snow on the ground and it’s supposed to keep snowing all day. Welcome to Colorful Colorado, where we have all four seasons, except instead of having them nicely divided into seasons, they all happen every three days or so.

American Idol – what is up with making these results shows an hour long? You’re eliminating one person! That shit should get done during the commercial break of another show.

I kind of thought about updating Facebook more often because I feel like I do a shitty enough job of keeping up with people that I could use the help. Then I tried typing in the little update box and felt dirty… so dirty… so maybe I’ll try to give it another shot soon.

Chatroulette, huh? That’s a thing that’s all the rage, according to news media. But I can count up the amount of people I know who have even HEARD of it (aside from me) on zero fingers. What about you? The last time the news media tried to convince me that some lame new website was all the rage was for some shit called “Tweeter” or “Twisters” or something, and I was totally right that that site would go nowhere.

How about that new Alkaline Trio album, huh? This Addiction. It’s like Agony and Irony, but not as good. But, I give the Alk3 credit. They haven’t totally pussified themselves (Green Day, AFI) or gotten soooo boring (Strung Out, Offspring) over the years. At least when you hear an Alk3 album, you can still tell it’s them. And it’s still catchy, at least.

I think I’m the only person in the world that thought The Brag and Cuss was Rocky Votolato’s best album. This new one is solid but I think there’s more you can do sonically with a full band than with you and an acoustic guitar. Some songs are really starting to show the limitations (Sparklers sounds like every other finger picked song he’s done). The 7” that came with the CD has two really good, rocking full band songs, strangely enough.

In other music news, there’s a new split out between Brendan Kelly (The Lawrence Arms) and Joe McMahon (Smoke or Fire) that’s pretty good. It’s all acoustic versions of their bands’ songs. Being more of a Lawrence Arms fan, I find B-Kel’s side of the album more interesting. But I always like to hear different versions of songs I like.

Here’s a project I’ve been thinking about. Maybe not a project… a thing. So anyway, I’ve been trying to think of what single song best represents a band. Like, if I were going to try to get someone into the Alkaline Trio, the single song I would pick from their catalog is Radio. For the Lawrence Arms, Quincentuple Your Money. For a mainstreamer version, for The Eagles, Hotel California. For the Foo Fighters, Everlong. It’s kind of fun and really hard. Here’s your homework: Pick some bands you like. What single song best represents them?

1 comment:

  1. shakin', like a dog shittin' razor blades...

    ReplyDelete