Monday, November 15, 2004

So I was gonna write some lengthy angry political tirade shortly after the election, but then Adam beat me to it. And then I got caught up in reading. And then I got caught up in research for papers. And then I stopped caring. So, in case you were wondering what my thoughts are about the election (as if you couldn't guess): it sucks. People are dumb fucks. We're screwed. I don't even want to think of what that man will do with this country in four more years. We've taken 28 giant steps backward instead of 2 small ones forward. We're doomed.

But this entry isn't meant to be depressing, so let's get off that topic and move on to... uh... I've got nothing. As always, I have no idea what to talk about.

Last week I read Edward Albee's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf." If you haven't read it, you should. It's good. You'll be thinking, "what the hell is going on?" for the first hundred pages or so, but it all starts coming together at the end and is very awesome. On a side note: if you haven't heard anything by the band Murder By Death, head on over here and download the track "I'm Afraid of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf." Actually kind of goes along with the play, but it's an amazing song just on its own.

Speaking of my theater survey course, the next play I have to read is called "Buried Child" by Sam Shepard. And the cover of the book is Sam Shepard (I presume) giving this sort of scowl, sort of "what, you want a piece of me or something?" look, and it's really intimidating. Or creepy. Something like that. Regardless, it's not quite the same as looking at Marlon Brando's bare chest on the cover of "A Streetcar Named Desire."

So I can't believe it's November 15th already. This semester has gone by so incredibly fast... I feel like it's been a month, maybe a month and a half, but not three. What's even crazier, though, is going to your local grocery store and being attacked unexpectedly by Christmas carols on the radio. This is not cool. I'm not ready for this yet. It's not even Thanksgiving yet, Mr. DJ! Why don't you hold off on those same 10 songs we've heard a thousand times before for a couple more weeks? Could you do that for me, just this once? I'd appreciate it. I mean, honestly, the least they could do is wait until it's December, at least. Whatever.

Speaking of grocery shopping, there's really nothing more humbling than being insulted by the cashier at a Harrisonburg Kroger. Jesse's buying one yogurt to make a smoothie, and the cashier, while she's ringing up the yogurt, says, "Only one yogurt? You're weird." Then, to cover this, she asks if we're freshmen. One explanation of how we're juniors later, she retorts with, "You don't look that old." I went to Kroger to get food, not to be reminded how young I look. So thanks, cashier at Kroger. Keep up the great work. That's Harrisonbrug for ya.

I've had this discussion with a few people already, so I figured I'd throw it out here for the rest of you (2 additional people) to discuss as well: There's a bunch of 90's alternative that I probably shouldn't still like, but I do. For instance, the Goo Goo Dolls. I don't know what it is about them, but I still really like their songs. Especially their radio songs. They had some good hits. Better Than Ezra is another great 90s alternative band. Bush. Live. Fuel. Green Day. (some) Third Eye Blind (pre-Blue album). Counting Crows. Semisonic. Weezer. Alanis Morisette. Our Lady Peace. Blink 182. Foo Fighters. Sublime. Eve 6. Splender. Gin Blossoms. Smashing Pumpkins. Ben Folds Five. Radiohead. The Offspring. Everclear. Stroke 9. All of those bands had radio songs from the 90's that I liked and still do. So good job to them, I guess.

Adam's turning 21 soon. That means I'm turning 21 not so soon, but not too much longer either. 5 months to the day, actually. Crazy. I'm getting that feeling you always get when you're about to become a year older. We're getting old. Not really.

All right, that's enough rambling for now. Go listen to some great 90's alternative, reminisce, and be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment