Tuesday, November 30, 2004

So that was Thanksgiving. Good food. I think the pumpkin pie was a little much, but yeah. That's the point of Thanksgiving, is to eat a lot, right? To give thanks? What? Yeah... no. So we had the usual couple over for Thanksgiving and it turns out they agree with me on the movies I like. So my mom and Ed have bad taste, not me. I knew it all along.

My Jade Tree order came over the break. I now own the two CDs Denali put out, and I can tell you that if you like ambient, female fronted rock, you should totally get those. This girl's voice is out of this world, it's the band's best instrument. The lyrics are pretty weak, but if you're just listening to Maura Davis sing, sexy stuff. And she's easy on the eyes. But Denali broke up, so I'll never get to see them in concert, which sucks. I bet they were really good live. But Maura's in another band just starting so maybe they'll tour and I can go check out her pipes live. I also got Kid Dynamite's b-sides album which is good stuff. 30 songs in 48 minutes, that's how you know it's a punk band. And I got Me First and the Gimme Gimmes' "Jackson" 7", which I can't listen to because I don't have a record player anymore, but I'll find one and rock out. I got it because I love that band, because it was like 3 bucks, and because it has an unreleased track on it. And because it's limited pressing. Hells yes. Now I'm waiting on my Fat order so I can watch the Against Me! DVD, and my No Idea order so I can rock the fuck out for months. Drag the River also came out with a new EP which came right before break, and it took a while for it to grow on me but I like it now. Jon's songs are awesome, Chad's are... less awesome. Anyway.

Leslie spent the break in Ohio visiting her dad. She hadn't seen him in 4 years and they hadn't been in good standing with one another since he left her mom, but it sounds like they worked things out and they both had a good cry before she left. That's good, I like it when kids get along with their dads, because I get along with mine and I think dads are good people. Especially since one day I might be a dad, and I want my kids to like me.

So Leslie and I spent a couple days together after she got back and it was good time. Relationship problems are officially over. Huzzah.

I watched a bunch of movies over the break. I saw About Schmidt (okay), Something's Gotta Give (pretty good), Darkness Falls (stupid), 21 Grams (pretty good, but also kind of slow), Dawn of the Dead (stupid), Saving Grace (okay), and the third Harry Potter (confusing, either the best or the worst in the series, I can't decide). I totally just copied that from an IM with Brian. I'm lazy. Then I watched Mulholland Drive again, which I really didn't like this time, except for the lesbian scenes which were... uh... artistically done and totally integral to the plot. Right. And the third Lord of the Rings, which is amazing even on the third watch. I need to get all three extended editions.

So Christmas is apparently coming because you can't go anywhere without hearing that godawful music. Leslie and I went out to eat Mexican yesterday and they were playing Christmas music. A month of this shit will drive me insane. My family hates Christmas music. There's some stuff I don't mind, but all this cheer really pisses me off.

Speaking of Christmas, I don't know what I want. The usual TV show DVDs, yeah, and a couple games, but what else? And what the hell do I get Leslie? I need to write my ideas down because I keep coming up with them and forgetting. She says I don't need to buy her anything, but she also says she's buying me stuff. So like Cam and I have discussed, I do need to buy her stuff. That's how it works. So nobody else get me anything, except my family.

My bed has a new comforter, so if anyone wants to come sleep with me (that means you, Eric), you're more than welcome.

And finally, ", said the shotgun to the head" by Saul Williams, is an amazing poem. I'd like one of his CDs because I bet they're good. I don't want to look like an artsy fag because I like this poem about goddess religions, but it's just plain awesome, if you sit down and really read it closely. I need to do that with "She" because I'm starting to see what Leslie sees in this guy. You should all go read "shotgun." Okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment