Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Apparently there are people out there who think that in order to get stem cells for research, we have to go find an adorable baby, cut its head off with a dull, rusty knife, drink its blood, and spit the stem cells into a test tube.

The Obama administration is batting about .500 with me right now. I'm still struggling to see any kind of plan to get us out of this economic mess and I'm still struggling with the fact that they're all still such blatant "politicians." However, one of the main reasons I voted for the guy is because of his stances on social issues, and I count stem cell research as one of those issues. We have at our fingertips, in the very near future, cures for all kinds of diseases, and by allowing money to be spent on research in those areas, Obama is brightening the future for a lot of people, and that is a great thing.

I notice that people who are opposed to stem cell research are also opposed to abortion, which makes me think that people who oppose both of those see a clump of cells that will eventually be a human as more valuable than an actual human life. This is also exemplified by abortion clinic bombings, one of the most ironic things I've ever heard of happening. Maybe instead of pro-life, they should adopt the more suitable moniker "pro-eventual-life," because from what I can tell they really don't give too much of a shit about life after it pops out of the womb. They want us to not even think about disturbing a blob of cells, but after the baby is born to a mom that is single and can't afford to raise the child, they sure as hell don't want to have to pay taxes so that that mother can feed the kid. "Baby's born: Mission Accomplished! Now fuck 'em."

Also, how is it that so many people fit so neatly into the labels we've adopted as "liberal" and "conservative," or "republican" and "democrat?" Why is that so many people will believe ALL of the following: small government, pro-war, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage, anti-taxes, pro-death penalty? Or the exact opposite of all those positions. But it's so much harder to find someone who believes in half of those things. Doesn't it seem like there's very little in common between most of those ideas? Yet somehow, people are more and more falling into little compartments and believing EVERY tenet of their chosen label. I think that's weird. All because I love abortion more than anything else in the world doesn't mean I need to be anti-war, does it? I guess now that I'm thinking about it, I fit pretty much into my little compartment too. Oh well. I must not know what I'm talking about.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:31 PM

    damn it!!! i was all set to go baby hunting!!! hugs!

    ReplyDelete