Sunday, October 25, 2009

Fucking pigeons. They sit on my windowsill taunting me all day. I hit the window with drum sticks and they fly to another window. Coo, coo, they say. Recently, they've begun just staring at me like "Yeah, what are you going to do, drum stick man? Come out here and get us?" And of course I can't, and they know it now. I hate goddamn pigeons.

You ever have a dream where you start peeing, and then at that very moment your alarm goes off? That’ll freak you out for a few seconds.

I just got done watching Away We Go, and I absolutely loved it. It was honestly a relief to watch a movie in which the two main characters, a man and a woman in love, don't have some cliche fight half way through, then we wonder if they'll get back together, and of course they do. No, that doesn't happen in Away We Go. These two people are deeply in love, they're absolutely adorable together, and they never fight. They wonder if they're failures because they're approaching their mid 30's and they don't have their lives figured out. They don't get married because the woman doesn't see the point. And all they want to do is find a place where they can raise their baby. It's a "small" movie, but Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski are amazing in it. It's kind of got your traditional indie movie quirks, but they're less pronounced here, and it leaves an honest feeling, funny movie, and it's happy and uplifting throughout. That said, it has a 58/100 on Metacritic. Go figure.

Can we talk about The Mountain Goats? I think we should. The Sunset Tree is one of the best albums ever made, in my opinion. Probably the most heartfelt thing I've ever listened to, and the feeling of redemption and power is really unmatched in anything I've ever heard. The there was Get Lonely, which was boring, no two ways around it. I gave it another listen again recently, and it just doesn't do anything for me. It's too hushed and samey, and never goes anywhere. Then there was Heretic Pride, which was forgettable. So, just when I'm thinking that John Darnielle blew his musical load on The Sunset Tree, along comes The Life of the World to Come to renew my faith. Now, don't get me wrong, this isn't as good as The Sunset Tree. And it's definitely not uplifting. But it's interesting, and the songs feel constructed for the first time in a couple albums. I'm not a big fan of the song titles all being bible verses, but Genesis 3:23 is the catchiest song he's done in three albums, and listening to Matthew 25:21 in the dark alone literally brought a tear to my eye. It's been a long time since a song has made me tear up. The last four songs on here are heartbreaking, in a good way. Did you know there are people in this world who don't really care about music? It's very strange. I think it's probably a medical condition.

I bought vegetables and cooking ingredients. Here goes the Great Adam Cooking Adventure. Yeah, that's the name I came up with after days of trying to think of a catchy title for this thing. Maybe there's a reason I don't write anymore.

:(

No comments:

Post a Comment