Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A while ago (I don't remember when exactly. You expect me to look through 110 [!] entries?), Adam made a post that was a track list for a mix CD. I liked his idea a lot. And I wanted to do something similar, but I wanted a way that everyone could share in the end result. Fast-forward however much time it's been. Over the weekend, I found out about a website called Daytrotter. Every day, they offer three to five songs by a different artist. Very cool. Thus, I present to you...

The Completely DIY Mix CD

All you have to do is go to the website, look up each artist, download the track, and burn them to a disc. Cool, huh?

1. Arizona - Whiskey or Wine: James, Arizona's drummer, is a friend of mine from the days of Georgia. Yeah, crazy, huh? Since his band has a Daytrotter session, I feel obligated to introduce them to you. This song is good. They're good.

2. The Avett Brothers - Paranoia in B-Flat Major: One of my favorite tracks off Emotionalism. I love the energy in this song.

3. Matt Pryor - Lorali: Poor Matt Pryor. I don't think he's ever going to write songs as good as the ones he wrote for The Get Up Kids. This one comes close, though.

4. The Plain White T's - Runaway: Here's a throw-back to high school. I haven't listened to The Plain White T's in years, but this is a fun cover of a fun song.

5. Aimee Mann - Freeway: This song may or may not have been on the Magnolia soundtrack. I never saw the movie, so I don't know. But I like it, regardless.

6. Okkervil River - You Can't Hold the Hand of a Rock and Roll Man: An insanely-long song title, I know. But it's a great tune. Listening to this song takes me back ten or eleven months, since I first got into them near the end of last year.

7. Death Cab for Cutie - The New Year: It's not my favorite Death Cab song, but it's definitely one of my favorites.

8. Minus the Bear - Part 2: I never picked up Planet of Ice, but I like the sound of this song.

9. Bon Iver - Lump Sum: Okay, I admit it: I don't quite get what the deal is with everyone liking Bon Iver. Maybe I just haven't given him a solid listen, but I feel like Sam Beam is much better when it comes to the hushed vocals/quiet acoustic guitar stuff. That said, I'm quite impressed with this song.

10. Barcelona - Time to Mend: There's really not much going on in this song (it's a basic guy-and-his-guitar slow jam), but something about it gets to me. Just wait for the "Oh, oh listen. Hear me." part. I also like the lines "We're caught in this place, we're stalled in this place. But don't let it kill you now. We're not here to stay. We're not here to stay."

11. Sondre Lerche - Say It All: I first saw Sondre Lerche during CMJ four years ago. (I think.) I never kept up with him, but he put on a good live show. This song reminds me why I liked his set so much.

12. The Mountain Goats - Ethiopians: I have no idea how one person (John Darnielle) can write so many songs (like, eight thousand) and make almost all of them good. By the way, he/they have two Daytrotter sessions. "Ethiopians" is from the June 13th, 2007 session.

13. The Elected - Would You Come with Me?: We got this CD at the radio station when it came out several years ago. This was the track I'd play during my radio show. Great tune. Features one or two members of Rilo Kiley.

14. The Submarines - You, Me, and the Bourgeoisie: Yeah, it's from that iPod commercial, but it's damn catchy. A fun song.

15. Ingrid Michaelson - Can't Help Falling in Love with You: I have to thank Karen for introducing me to Ingrid Michaelson. Girls and Boys is a great album. In fact, her entire Daytrotter session is fantastic. But this cover is crazy good. I wish she were singing it to me.

There you go! Now get downloadin' and burnin' and reacquaintin' with your southern roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment