Thursday, December 03, 2009

I'm going to put forth a challenge. This post is the 135th post of the year. That's pretty impressive. But I'd really like to make it to 150 by the end of December. That would double our previous year-total of 75 entries. Think we can do it?

So, it's December 3rd and today in New York there was a high of 60 degrees. Something tells me this isn't normal. I was expecting to move to a colder area. But, according to weather.com, it's actually colder back in DC than it is here. WTF?

I'm not the greatest speller in the world. For an English major, I'm probably average in the spelling department. But here's what I don't understand about my spelling ability: certain simple words always trip me up (like "occasionally" or "unnecessarily" or "the"), yet I can somehow consistently spell words like "acquiesce" or "curmudgeon" or "mannequin" correctly. Am I some odd-word-spelling savant?

Does anyone else here completely suck at Pictionary? Because I do. And, this weekend, while playing the game, I had an amazing revelation about why I suck at Pictionary: I spend too much time establishing context. For example, the first word I got was "electric eel." A normal person with even the most rudimentary Pictionary skills would probably draw a snake-like figure with lightning bolts beside it. But I chose a different route. The first thing I drew was a mermaid. The second thing I drew was a fish. (Really, in hindsight, I should've just gone for the fish. The mermaid was excessive.) That set the underwater scene. Then I drew my electric eel, which was basically just like a snake. This was an okay plan, but, unfortunately, "electric eel" was an all-play, and, by the time I finished setting the scene, the other team had already guessed the word. And this is the reason why, when divvying up teams ("divvying" is an odd word that I did not spell correctly, so so much for the savant thing), I revert to racist legislation from the 18th century and consider myself 3/5 a person, if a person at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment