Thursday, December 10, 2009

There are people who think everything on Youtube is hilarious. I am not one of these people. Sure, some things are funny, but really? Numa numa guy? Star Wars Kid? Chocolate Rain? Am I dating myself because these things were all popular back when Youtube was new, and I don't know what's funny nowadays? Regardless, there's really nothing funny about them. There is nothing wrong with people filming themselves doing stupid things they think are cool. Hell, Brian and I made our careers early by producing four hilarious home videos. Is there some kind of weird mob mentality with these internet memes (I had to look that up), where because other people think they're funny, other people somehow convince themselves they're funny? It's annoying being asked "Did you see that Youtube video about the leprechauns?" It's more annoying when I say no, then go look up what they're talking about, and find that it wouldn't pass for a bad SNL sketch, which is saying something. I don't know, maybe I don't have a sense of humor. But that's not true: What do you call twelve rabbits in a row hopping backwards? A receding HARE line! Obviously, I've got a sense of humor. Actually, maybe THAT's why I don't find Youtube videos funny.

This my college football prediction. Please note, this is a work in progress, and after the bowl games are over I'll come back in here and change this to make myself look psychic. And I guess I'll delete that sentence and this one at that point too. But when this thing takes off and people come read it, I'll look awesome at this. I predict that WINNING TEAM will win the BCS Championship game! Many people think that LOSING TEAM will win, but WINNING TEAM will really pull it out. And boy, it will be a NAIL BITER/BLOW OUT. The score will be HIGH SCORE to LOW SCORE. Mark my words! This game will really make people BELIVE THAT THE BCS RANKING SYSTEM IS A FAIR AND UNBIASED SYSTEM/LONG FOR A PLAYOFF SYSTEM LIKE EVERY OTHER SPORT IN THE WORLD. It will go down in history as one of the MOST/LEAST exciting games ever played and will be remembered forEVER/ A COUPLE OF DAYS. There. Backup career as a sports psychic, check.

Yesterday on my Google homepage there was a headline that read: "Kim Kardashian reacts to Tiger Woods' alleged infidelities." Due to this type of hard hitting reporting, I now use Yahoo as a search engine.

Speaking of college football, kind of, what's the deal with school pride? I get all this stuff in the mail from CSU now, asking me for money, and trying to play off of my sense of school pride. Stories abound about how people's parents went to school there, and the kid goes to school there now, and it just fills them all with a sense of meaning in this world. Now, I've read through our old blog entries, and back then I made it pretty clear that I hated going to school there. I honestly don't think that I would have enjoyed going to school anywhere else any more. I'm pretty sure that I just think a college education is an unfortunately necessary waste of time. Sure, I enjoyed the social aspects of going to college, and I would definitely recommend my kids go to college because there's nowhere else that they're going to get that kind of personal growth in such a short amount of time. But the actual education? I am definitely not a better or smarter person now because I had to read books and write essays about them, or learn about literary theory, or take one semester of chemistry, or anything like that. I feel about it now like I did then: the Creative Writing classes were fun, the rest of them were huge wastes of my time so that I could get a piece of paper saying I put up with school for four (okay, 3.5) years, and if I can put up with school for four years, I can probably be trusted to hold down a job. And sure, I'll root for CSU if they're playing whatever sports they even play anymore (bad football, bad basketball, maybe squash, who the hell knows). But I don't feel the need to ever go to another CSU game (unless I get free tickets), and I don't feel like I need to donate anything to the school, and I don't feel like joining any kind of alumni organization, and I don't feel like my kids need to go there or that this is going to be some kind of dynasty. I went to CSU because my friends were going there. It was okay. It's a nice campus. I met great people there. I no longer give a shit about it.

We legalized medical marijuana here in Colorado, and weed stores (called "dispensaries" for some reason, though I guess no one bothered to come up with a fancy name for liquor stores) are popping up all over the place. I walked to my house from my car last night and realized that now there's one right behind my building! The storefront is a brick wall with a banner hanging above the door that says "Discount Marijuana." Inside is an empty room, white walls, no decorations, with a solitary desk, and a man who is OBVIOUSLY a pot head wearing a lab coat. There's a door in the back that probably leads to the weed. All in all, it looks like a drug dealer set up camp in a building. Politicians and citizens all over the state are crying foul on these dispensaries, like they didn't expect for people to open stores to sell the stuff after they legalized it. If I walked into one, I wouldn't be able to get weed, because I don't have a medical marijuana card, but these people are worried that if a dispensary moves into their neighborhood, their kids are at risk and stuff. This was a great opportunity for the pro-weed movement to show society that weed can exist openly in society without said society falling apart, but as usual, the pot heads are showing that they are, well, pot heads. First, the dispensaries look like drug dealer stores, and not like actual businesses. Not a great idea, if you're trying to convince people you are a legitimate business and not a drug dealer. People don't like drug dealers in their neighborhoods. Second, people have now started robbing these dispensaries at gunpoint. Great move, fellas! While we should be grateful that we're one step away from legitimizing weed as something to not be scared of, that should by all accounts be legal, instead we're going "Great, now instead of paying for weed I can rob a dispensary!" Oh well. Maybe next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment