Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Here we go, the much-hyped 150th post of the year. Does it bring the funny? A little, for sure. Does it live up to the hype? Maybe. Did we make it? We made it.

I'm going to refrain from doing any sort of Top 10 list, mostly because it'd be nearly identical to Adam's. I'd throw in "In the Loop" and "Coraline" to the movie list, as well as Saxon Shore's "It Doesn't Matter" to the CDs, but, otherwise, he pretty much hit upon the things I liked this year. Especially the Lucero, Avett Brothers, and Neko Case albums. Fantastic.

Instead, to celebrate the culmination of another year, I decided to paste together a massive collage of one-sentence excerpts from each of my updates. I was mostly looking for things that would sound funny out of context, but I'd normally pick the first sentence that caught my eye. Here's my conclusion to 2009: It was a good year. I think it's only natural to anticipate the coming year, but 2009 was fun. I knew fairly early on that I'd be moving to New York sometime in the summer. That realization alone made my remaining time in Virginia all the more enjoyable, somehow. Then, in July, I started my life up here, which has been great. The thing I'm most looking forward to next year? Spending all 12 months here.

Thanks for your time, your patience, and your support this past year. Stay cool.


It's nice to be back. You're getting raw, unedited, uncut (and uncensored!) email. Let's get this show started! Also, I can’t even tell you how many times, as a kid, I’d go outside and replay the scene at the beginning of the movie with Marty on the hoverboard when he’s stuck on the water. Soon I will have to update this blog in the middle of the night. I would put this CD in my CD player (because mp3 players weren’t around at the time, kids), put the CD player on repeat, and do puzzles for hours on end. (Warning: do not expose to young children or the easily startled.) My goal is to make it on EVERY SINGLE ONE of the Girls Gone Wild videos. The bags of beads -- usually containing 8 to 10 pairs of beads -- are like missiles. Despite the fact that no one seemed to be paying attention to him, he was up there, jamming out, lip-syncing the words to all the songs on his killer mix. I swear I don't constantly watch the Game Show Network. Someone gave me a thesaurus one time, but it was a boring gift, so I threw it away. LEWIS: I’m roaming again. Nine matches, and we lost all of them. I'm not ashamed to admit that I made a mistake doing the laundry the other day. Who are you, Billy Mays? I am the rabbit that, one day, ate some carrots and, thus, had good eyesight. As with all Kaufman movies, I knew it required a second viewing. But seriously again: People who interpret dreams, what the hell does my dream mean? Why can't I not think of Johnny Depp when I hear about pirates? But really, if book reviewers started using words like "Psh!," I'd probably start reading book reviews. (Apparently I've traded in my love of colons for a love of forward slashes.) Either Devon's vocal range is exactly the same as mine, or I have just as bad of a voice as he does. Richard Meader, thank you. Seriously, CNN, what the fuck? Is it inherently sad or inherently awesome that I'm drinking a glass of wine while making macaroni and cheese for dinner? My blog posts have been very short recently. Now I have to get back to my cupcakes. Still, where else can you witness an epic battle between a barrel-throwing devil and a sexy 8-bit woman? Those despondent, cruel, black-and-white worlds where everything sucks and everyone acts so fucking hopeless all the time. Unfortunately, it was a decidedly average book. Oh. The second video represents a monumental leap in quality... of the transitional effects. So, yeah, my unpacking is pretty much complete. Super glad they have "Twist and Shout" on the disc, as that's one of the Top 5 songs I was hoping for. Does Rivers Cuomo think he's still a teenager? My ongoing enjoying-the-fruits-of-the-city-as-well-as-using-hyphens-to-join-words adventures continue today. If only I had Yahoo Answers in high school. What the hell was I talking about five minutes ago? It's really very hard for me to take anyone who says "queasy" seriously. So yeah, trip out, man. Though I can assume that Adam had a non-stop week of drunken debauchery in a place called Bisbee, AZ. Rock Cock. So my stealing his cool lighter wasn't some deftly performed theft, it was just me waiting until he passed out. The milk I buy around here has a weird name. This is because, while I like bananas, they are not, in fact, "the shit," as Gwen Stefani would have us believe. I've long given up on CNN.com providing useful news. The least you can do is offer anal. The Beatles: Rock Band is a beautiful, beautiful thing. It's kind of like what Ben and I did in the kitchen of our old apartment, except this time I'm getting a grade and I have to write formal papers. Damn you, Marcel Proust! The Weakerthans put on a fantastic show last night. That sounds a lot more edgy and cool without an explanation. Happy 100th post! But the absolute stupidest fucking idea I've ever heard is thinking the President of the United States should be killed because of this. He's probably a toolbag, but still. Can Toby Keith stop making music? He's left-handed, by the way. If you have anything that can inoculate you against bitterness and stupidity, now would be the time to administer a dosage. Maybe I just like song titles with question marks in them. Now get downloadin' and burnin' and reacquaintin' with your southern roots. This is really an observation of no consequence whatsoever, I just felt like pointing it out on behalf of scrawny people everywhere. As I'm eating a bowl of cereal, I decide to look at the ingredients labels on the various foods I have in my cabinet. Think there's someone in the world whose absolute favorite band is UB40? Everything is just a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy with no origin. And that's how I was able to get to Irving Plaza. Highlights from the past week (in no particular order): calling Montezuma an asshole in my Literary Criticisms class. Instances of Awkward or Unfortunate Juxtapositions. But no, everything's always so damn serious. Lucero is the band of the day. Not to mention the fact that some of the things she's said have been beyond stupid. What lyrics would you change, given the ability to harness this amazing power? But I'll get back to the (old-man rants / discography analyzes / 14-year-old wanna-be-skater-douche rants) soon. "There are times when he makes a point and I don't understand what the fuck it ties into." What if it's actually one of the best releases of 2009 and no one's given it a shot because of its horrible name and horrible cover art? Does anyone else here completely suck at Pictionary? In case you're wondering, I do a pretty good Cher impersonation. See, I told you I'd be back soon. Thanks, Adam, for taking one for the team and actually listening to Raditude. Can I get my I-didn’t-realize-he-was-that-big-of-a-dork badge now? Me with my one-quarter-turned baseball cap. Burn, Burn, Burn, Motherfucker! Moral: Don't hand Jude Law books. But hey, we're almost at 150 posts. We made it.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:24 AM

    Taijie stickers xpress CO Ltd is professional -->stickers xpress Company
    in China specialized in stickers xpress all kinds of picture formats inthe slideshow, such
    as smoking causing cancer and heart disease. W Bush,
    asked if the government could go so far as font and envelope sizes go.


    Stop by my web blog ... stickers in spanish

    ReplyDelete