Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Everyone can rest easy tonight: We now know the value of pi to 2.7 trillion digits. I don't know about you, but, back in August 2009 (when the previous world record was only 2.6 trillion), I developed a bout of insomnia. My mind couldn't stop calculating the additional 123 billion digits that led to the new record. But, thanks to Fabrice Bellard, I -- and, presumably, you -- can finally get some sleep.

Seriously, though. Pi to 2.7 trillion digits? My favorite line from the article: "These herculean computations form part of a branch of mathematics known as arbitrary-precision arithmetic." Yeah, no kidding. Except that, at this point, "arbitrary" is an understatement.

I've started watching Night Court, the 1984 sitcom with Harry Anderson and John Larroqqueettee (a.k.a. the guy with way too many double-letters in his name. [Okay, okay, so it's only two Rs and two Ts, but still. Larroquette. As if.]). Anyway, I've been thoroughly, thoroughly enjoying it. This is surprising for two reasons. One, the fact that it's 26 years old and yet still holds up incredibly well. And, two, a guy named Reinhold Weege created it (and wrote most of the first-season episodes). Reinhold? Weege? I can only imagine the kind of torment and ridicule he faced in elementary school. (There were probably several references to, among other things, "squeegee" and "wedgie.") So yeah, if you're looking for some Klassic Komedy from the Keighties, check out Night Court. (I was hoping to go for some sort of KKK joke [Why? I don't know.], but it fizzled out before it even began.)

No comments:

Post a Comment