Saturday, May 08, 2004

So. I went to work today, and I didn't have to work with the girl who leaves early all the time, so that was a plus. What was a minus was the fact that we were really busy because everyone's in the library studying for finals, so they come to Subway to eat. What also sucks was the drink machine ran out of CO2. We thought. Then Dave and Charlie came in and reported that though it was "a little strong" it wasn't out of carbonation. So the girl who complained to us was just a whiny brat. What also sucks is the delivery truck came around 3, as opposed to the before 11 it usually comes at, so while I should have been trying to close, I was desperately throwing things into shelves, refrigerators, and freezers. On the plus side we got out of there at like 4:25, which is about 20 minutes later than usual, but for a busy, inconvenient day like today was, it's not bad.
Then I walked out to my car and it didn't start. Then I tried again. And again. And again. And then I decided it wasn't going to start. So I went back into the student center and called home, nobody answered, called Charlie's cell phone, nobody answered. Then I went back to the car and tried a few more times, it didn't start, then I went to Cam's room for shelter from the impending rain. I was pretty miserable because I was hot, it was about 4:45 and all I'd had to eat was a donut when I got up. Plus my car wouldn't start and I couldn't get ahold of Charlie. So I ate in Cam's room and felt better. Then I called Charlie and he came and picked me up. So we went back to my car to look futilely under the hood while scratching our heads and making grunting noises, pretending that we had a clue what the hell we were looking for. Anyway, while I was trying the ol' "start it again, maybe something will happen" trick, this guy rides up on his bike and says "That's a bad (something something)." To which we replied "What?" To which he replied "That's a bad (something something)." Seeing our blank stares and drool coming out of our mouths, he expounded on that in big car words I didn't understand. After noticing no change in our "Hi, we're retarded" faces, he got off his bike and took a look under the hood. He used to have an older version of my car, apparently, so he knew what we was doing. Somehow that works, I guess. So he takes this orange thing out of this black thing and tells me to start the car, warning me that if you do what he's doing without being grounded (he was holding pliers with rubber handles) you die. With that in mind, I started the car, and he determined that there was no spark. After listing a couple pricey sounding solutions to the problem and telling me that "150,000 miles isn't that much for an engine like this" and "Audis are very dependable cars" (to which I responded with doubt, to say the least), he asks for the manual. I gives it to him and he looks at it and decides he'll just take all the fuses out and put them back in. Finding no bad fuses, he pulls that orange thing out again and tells me to start the car again. So I do, and he drops the orange thing and goes "Son of a!" I shut it off immediately and go out to see him, hoping that I hadn't killed the guy who was trying to help us out. He goes "It bit me" and plugs the orange thing back in. So he tells me to start the car again, and I turn the key and it starts up faster than it ever has before. We thank him heartily and he rides off into the sunset.
Now as everyone knows, I'm not a religious person. I've gone so far as to say "There is no God" just a little while ago. But when things like this happen, it makes even me, the heretical, doomed to hell athiest/agnost wonder. What are the chances that at the precise second that I'm trying to start the car again a guy on a bike will ride up who just happens to know about my car? What are the chances that I'd call Charlie just in time to get back to the car so that we could be there doing that? Not good. Miniscule. Infinitessimal. So was it just really lucky or was it some kind of divine intervention? I don't know. When I say "There is no God," I don't mean to sound like I know that for a fact. Hell, I don't even mean it like I actually believe it. I just say things like that because I'm emotional and I like shocking people. So is there a God? Stuff like what happened today makes me think there might be. I'm not about to start going to Church or anything, but I'm not so ready to be athiest. So thanks, guy who stopped, you really helped out my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment