Monday, February 02, 2009

How do you like this? Look at all the timely updates! The list continues:

20. Osker – Idle Will Kill
This little album was really hated by just about everyone who wrote a review about it, but I think that’s because anyone who wrote a review about it was a punk rock kid, and they were disappointed that this album was slower, richer, fuller, and much much better than Osker’s first album. This is an emotionally honest and pretty album that deserves a better lot in life than it got.

19. Saves the Day – Stay What You Are
Saves the Day changed for the better with this album. While their first albums were catchy pop punk, this is a dark album that almost defies genre. Chris Conley’s vocals are the best here that they will ever be, the lyrics are excellently evil, and the album is one of the best I’ve ever heard

18. NOFX – Punk in Drublic
When it came to NOFX, I knew I had to put one of their albums on here because to anyone who’s honest with themselves, NOFX is hands down one of the best punk bands of all time. I went with Punk in Drublic because it blends their old, harder stuff with their newer catchier stuff perfectly. It’s an iconic album in punk rock, and with good reason.

17. Boysetsfire – After the Eulogy
Speaking of blending hard and catchy music, you won’t find many albums that do it better than this one. It alternates between blistering hardcore songs and well constructed poppier songs with ease, and the lyrics found on this disc are nothing short of astounding. It all culminates in “My Life in the Knife Trade,” which is hands down the best song this band ever wrote, and one of my all time favorites.

16. Okkervil River – The Stand Ins

I’ve been listening to Okkervil River since Black Sheep Boy, which I thought was a great album. Then I heard The Stage Names, which I thought was a great album. And then last year I heard The Stand Ins, which I must have listened to more than any other album last year, and I’m still not sick of it. The songs swell from quiet to loud and back again with ease. The instrumentation is diverse and appropriate, not overusing horns or strings, but bringing them in when it benefits the song. And the lyrics, as always, are spectacular. Will Sheff doesn’t have the best voice in music, but he does write some of the best songs, and from start to finish, this album doesn’t disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment