Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I have a fever and I may be dying, but here I am typing in this box anyway. Respect the dedication.

There have been a lot of good things happening to me recently. First, Sarai showed up again. Second, I feel like I'm starting to have something resembling a social life. Not that I really do anything aside from sit around and go to sleep during the week, but on the weekends it seems like people want to hang out with me. And I want to hang out with them! Wacky shit. And third, Brian just sent me an email saying that he wants to jump back into this crazy little blog we used to do. So I guess we'll be back in something resembling full force soon. As for right now, this is just going to continue to be whatever the hell it is right now (me writing to myself), but to borrow a phrase from Brian's email, maybe sometime relatively soon, "Maybe we can make something even better-ish this time." We'll see.

She & Him's debut is a beautiful album. And I, like Sarai, would like to make out with Zooey Deschanel.

Anyway, I thought I'd share some strange coincidences with you that led to this reuniting of the two most powerful voices in blogging the world has ever seen. I wrote my top 25 albums, right? So there's another list of 25 things going around like the plague, and that's the 25 random shits about you on Facebook that everyone and their grandma's dog is (are?) filling out. So Brian, being the creative genius that he is, decides he wants to put together 25 pieces of media that most influenced him, and he thinks that if anyone has enough spare time to put together a list like that, I would. And that leads him to check this blog, which, by some mystical feat of fate, I had just started updating. So either there's some kind of magic connection between two people who have known each other for TWENTY FUCKING YEARS!(?!?!), or sometimes weird shit just happens. Who knows.

I took the liberty of reading old posts on this thing, and man, there was some good stuff on here, especially towards the end. And then... nothing. Like the dark ages. It sure is strange to see what and who I used to care about and see what's changed or hasn't changed. I hope that in the future I/we can continue to move in the direction that the blog was headed in when Brian and I dropped off the face of the blog-earth. One thing that hasn't changed is my hatred of the word "blog."

Does ANYONE care about the Grammys? I'm struck this year after hearing that Viva la Vida won best album by the realization that the Grammys are like an awards show for the best of the bad popular albums during the year. I've read a lot of music critics' best albums of 2008 lists, and Viva la Vida was at the top of a whopping zero of them. I've actually heard it, and it's not bad, but it's like saying Pineapple Express was the best movie of the year. Sure, it was entertaining, but surely something was released that pushed music forward in new and bold ways or showed us a prime example of a specific genre of music. Coldplay is not a band likely to do either of those two things ever. It's like giving the Foo Fighters the Grammy for releasing an album with loud and soft songs on it. So I guess I say to the Grammys, "Really?"

Michael Phelps shouldn't have apologized for smoking weed. He's a dude. Dudes smoke weed sometimes. He should have said "Yeah, so?" And now South Carolina is pressing criminal charges against people at that party for smoking weed? They might as well give everyone who has a driver's license a ticket for speeding, since they probably have done that at some point, and about 75% of the country should be arrested for having done drugs at some point in their lives. If I were to make a new list of the 25 Dumbest Shits I've Ever Heard, being allowed to prosecute people for things they've done in the past and weren't caught by police doing would be in the top ONE.

I guess I feel kind of silly writing this thing right now since I'm pretty sure the viewership consists of me. And recently Brian. But you know what? Once this thing catches fire, I figure people will have a whole lot of back posts to read. And that's cool.

Anyway,

No comments:

Post a Comment