Sunday, February 01, 2009

I think I'm going to post these top 25 in fragments, so that I don't have one pages long post. So without further adieu, here are the first five:

25. Sleep Station – After the War
Sleep Station’s albums up to this point were half filled with masterfully constructed acoustic songs and half filled with filler. This album was and still is their best album to date, and one of the prettiest albums I’ve ever heard.

24. The Avett Brothers – Emotionalism
The Brothers have gotten better with each release, and this latest full length is their best yet. It’s a great bluegrass rock album with catchy songs and lyrics that go straight to the heart. It’s hard to listen to this album and not feel something.

23. Against All Authority - 24 Hour Roadside Resistance
This is kind of an odd duck on this list, as most of the bands on here have multiple albums that I really like. This is far and away AAA’s best album, nailing the gritty feel of the band, and featuring blistering punk rock songs with a message. A complete head and shoulders above all their other efforts, this is one of the best straight up punk albums I’ve ever heard.

22. The Lawrence Arms – The Greatest Story Ever Told
I had a rule in creating this list that I couldn’t have more than one album per band on the list. Narrowing The Lawrence Arms’ amazing catalog of music down to their best album was extremely hard, but in the end, the album that had the most effect on me was this one. Featuring the best of Chris’s softer songs and the hardest of Brendan’s rougher songs, this is the greatest story this band has ever told.

21. Gin Blossoms – New Miserable Experience
From start to finish, this is an amazing pop rock album. It was so long ago that I first heard this, and still today it’s one of my favorites ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment