Monday, August 03, 2009

Check it out. Soon enough, we're going to break our own world-record-setting 75 posts in a given year. This one right here is number 70. I guess I shouldn't jinx anything, though.

I don't know how they run shows out in Colorado (yes, I'm using the ambiguous pronoun "they" because, honestly, I don't know all the intricacies of running a concert), or, for that matter, wherever you're reading this right now, but here's how they run them in DC: If the website says 8PM, that usually means doors are at 8 and music won't start until 8:30, 8:45. Also, if the website says there are four bands playing, I would assume the first band gets maybe 25 minutes, the second band gets 35-40, and the third and fourth bands get an hour or so. Now here's how they do things in New York: If the website says 8PM, the music actually starts at 8PM. If the website says there are four bands, they're lying, because there are really only three. So when an unsuspecting audience member (me) arrives at 9PM expecting to see the second band, it turns out he (me) missed that second band (As Tall As Lions) because they were, in fact, the first band and, moreover, they began promptly at 8. Damn.

I did get to see Dredg in their entirety, as well as Rx Bandits. Both put on a fantastic show. I was surprised that the majority of the crowd was there for Rx Bandits. They went pretty wild during the Bandits' set. Lots of singing along, some crowd-surfing, and even some borderline moshing. Pretty wild. My thanks to Justin Bridgewater, who put me on the guest list and got me VIP status. (i.e. I got to stand on the not-at-all-crowded balcony right by the stage. It was nice.)

My ongoing enjoying-the-fruits-of-the-city-as-well-as-using-hyphens-to-join-words adventures continue today: I'm going to see a movie that's only in limited release. I'm expecting good things from "In the Loop," a British satire/farce of politics/war. It's written and directed by the guy (team?) who did "The Thick of It," a British TV show that's a satire/farce of politics. And since I enjoy "The Thick of It," I'm expecting to like "In the Loop."

My cat is adjusting to the apartment pretty well. I'm on the first floor and some landscapers just came by to mow the lawn, which freaked him out. But, other than that, he seems relatively mellow (for him, anyway). I still worry that this space is too tiny for him, but there are a few attractions that seem to entertain him. Of note: jumping from my bed onto a bookshelf, hopping on counters in the kitchen, and the "hall of mirrors" I make in my bathroom. That one even entertains me. It's trippy, dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment