Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Can I just say that, for how easy it is to make, grilled cheese shouldn't taste so good. Thirty seconds of preparation, five minutes of grilling/toasting, and bam! Delicious.

So, I finished that story I was talking about earlier. Sure enough, it came out to 21 pages. And I might add more, I'm not sure. Depends on what kind of comments I get from workshop. It's only the second strictly-comedy piece I've written, and I have a few observations: One, what's up with this being only my second comedy piece? Considering my non-stop-laugh-riot-fest (copyright) work on this blog, you'd think I'd try more funny stories. But no, everything's always so damn serious. Which might have something to do with point number two: Writing comedy is an unnecessarily difficult process. Something about combining the n-s-l-r-f (copyright) with a story = a massive amount of work. It's a lot easier to wax poetic about the injustices of the world. Three: After reading over my story countless times, I can't even tell anymore what's funny and what's not. Everything blurs together in this stale blah-ness. It was fresh when I first wrote it, but not much to the story feels fresh anymore. Maybe that's why so many comedies seem weaksauce? Now, this isn't to say that I dislike my story. I'm fond of it, in its own special I-made-this way, I just can't decide what's not-funny enough to cut. It's a lot harder to revise comedy. With a serious piece, I can tell when a sentence flops. But with comedy... Well, we'll see what the critics say.

No comments:

Post a Comment