Monday, November 09, 2009

Here's two more of these career retrospectives. They're longer. I'll take a break after these and get back to writing things to piss people off.

Foo Fighters – Their first album may be their most interesting, but it’s certainly not their best. You’d be hard pressed to relate any of it to the music that the Foos are putting out today, but that’s kind of what’s nice about it. It feels like what it was: Dave Grohl’s post-Nirvana album. It’s not all that great, but there are definitely some standout tracks that would set the stage for what to expect from their next album. That next album is one of the best straight-up rock and roll albums ever made, The Colour and the Shape. It spawned hits like My Hero, Monkey Wrench, and Everlong, which is one of the best rock songs ever written. Aside from its singles are awesome songs that run the range from punk to acoustic, and everything between. It’s a tremendously varied album, and, as I’ve said before, the Foos have recently tried to “re-write” it by mixing acoustic and rock songs, but it feels strained now, where here it seemed effortless. They followed up this classic with their second best, and by far mellowest album, There is Nothing Left to Lose. The hit off of this one was Learn to Fly, and that song pretty much is the tone of the album. Still rock, but softer than before, the album is still a pleasant listen, even if as far as I can tell, it didn’t have nearly as many hits as their other albums. After this one, though, the band stepped into a trap called “sameyness.” One By One could have been called One By One Note, as it featured nothing but big arena rock choruses and filler verses, as seen by songs like All My Life, and Times Like These. But I give Dave credit for saying it’s his least favorite album: "Four of the songs were good, and the other seven I never played again in my life.” That’s about right. Then came the double album, All My Life, which should have been a single album with the best acoustic and rock songs mixed together. Instead, we’re treated to an album of big arena rock songs extremely similar to the ones on One By One, and an album of acoustic numbers that for the most part never take off. Most recently, we’re treated to more of the same middle of the road, middle aged rock on Echoes Silence Patience and Grace, which is a terrible title for an album.

Weezer – We all know that Weezer is a shell of its former self. But the Blue Album was so good, and so fun. Post Pinkerton, Weezer would never record a song as touching as Say It Ain’t So, so weird as Undone, so nostalgic as Buddy Holly. Every song on the album offers something instantly appealing and catchy, and it’s definitely one of the classic albums to come out of the 90’s. They followed it up with Pinkerton, a criminally underappreciated album that can basically be blamed for the death of Weezer as we knew it. You’d be hard pressed to show me an album that’s more emotionally bare and honest, while still being musically diverse and upbeat. I don’t know why the album flopped so badly on its release. El Scorcho is a great, weird song, but there were songs that could easily have been singles aside from that one: Getchoo, or Why Bother, for example. And songs that probably couldn’t have been singles like Pink Triangle and Across the Sea are so unbelievably good that it’s hard to believe people never latched onto this album. The result was Rivers laying his soul bare to the world and being rejected. He ran into hiding for five years, and he would never be the same. When the Green Album finally came out, I was so excited to hear a new Weezer album that I was blinded to the fact that it was a completely empty, bubblegum pop album. It’s still my third favorite Weezer album, but it’s a distant third. At least it’s catchy as hell, something that can’t be said for subsequent albums. There are no real standout tracks because, well, they all pretty much sound the same. Maladroit was worse, but still had some good songs on it. It also had some complete shit, for the first time. Then came the awful turd named Make Believe, which featured parts of good songs, but no real winners, and the worst song Weezer ever wrote, “Beverly Hills.” It was an awful album with hardly any redeemable features, and had I not enjoyed Pork and Beans off of the Red Album, I would have been done with the band entirely. The Red Album was at least better than that godawful abortion that was Make Believe, but it didn’t have much staying power with me, and the fact that Rivers handed half the album over to his bandmates made the album sound less like a Weezer album (which at this point might not be a bad thing), and made me think that Rivers was finally creatively bankrupt. I haven’t gotten the recently released Raditude, and I’m not sure I will. My longing for a return to two of the most wonderful albums I’ve ever heard has taken me through four middling entries, and I think my good will towards the band may have finally run out.

How about them Broncos?

No comments:

Post a Comment