Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm not one easily scared by bugs or spiders. I don't like them, but, if the situation arises, I can swoop in, get things back to order, and we don't have to break out eight feet of gauze. (Wait a second...) But here's something that does scare me: taking a shower (an activity which I do almost entirely with my eyes shut, as to avoid getting shampoo in my eye -- that shit hurts!), turning off the water, opening my eyes, and seeing a spider dangling right above my head. This, I think we can all agree, is an unpleasant surprise.

I've had questions (two [which technically allows the use of the plural]) about my classes. So now I will discuss classes. (Great transition!) Tuesday night is Literary Criticisms night. A mandatory class that I was dreading going in, it's probably my favorite course this semester. The professor doesn't structure class as a lecture, but as an open-forum group discussion. It's kind of like what Ben and I did in the kitchen of our old apartment, except this time I'm getting a grade and I have to write formal papers.

Wednesday night is Fiction Workshop night. My professor is very enthusiastic and accepting of all sorts of ideas, which is good news for me. Fun fact! One of the other MFA students in class is an ex-fire fighter who was one of the first responders to the World Trade Center on September 11th. Guess what he wrote his story about? Uh huh. It was incredibly powerful, but damn. Hard to follow that up with anything that seems remotely significant in light of his personal experience.

Thursday night is "Post-modern Fiction." The reading is questionably post-modern. More like unique ways of telling stories. And it's almost entirely fiction from outside of the United States. It's interesting, and we discuss some good points, but the professor could really benefit from some methamphetamine. I think illicit psycho-stimulants is the missing ingredient from this class. Or maybe just coffee.

There you have it. The US Open is winding down. Nadal is currently playing Del Potro in the men's semi. He's not doing so well -- down two sets to love. Things aren't looking good for him, unfortunately. But it's okay, because The Beatles: Rock Band is still amazing. (Huh?)

No comments:

Post a Comment