Saturday, September 19, 2009

I've been slowly catching up on episodes of "Michael and Michael Have Issues." It's okay. Has its moments, for sure, but others sort of drag or don't go anywhere. Anyway, in the episode I just watched, Michael Ian Black said that he needed to Google himself. I realized that this is something I've never done before. So I went ahead and searched for my name, and there are some pretty hilarious results. Among my many selves, I'm:
  • a financial self-help author ("The Hidden Secret In Think And Grow Rich" [That's not a typo. That's actually what the book is called.] and "How To Finally Find What You Love To Do And Get Paid For It.")
  • a pianist/composer (of course!)
  • an NBA player
  • some dude with a weird Tumblr blog
  • a guy with a Windows Live account whose avatar is wearing a hat with a rainbow on it
  • a photographer with a 1999-era website
  • according to my Twitter, a "Creative director. Motion designer. NorCal transplant. Giants fan."
  • the author of another blogspot blog (Honestly, who would have multiple blogs? That's just needlessly self-indulgent.)
  • and, finally, a persistent rock-climber. (This one is actually kind of cool.)
The Weakerthans put on a fantastic show last night. They played, in no particular order: "Night Windows," "Reconstruction Site," "Benediction," "Tournament of Hearts," "Our Retired Explorer," "Relative Surplus Value," "One Great City," "Sounds Familiar," "Bigfoot," "Plea from a Cat Named Virtute," "Aside," "The Reasons," "Left and Leaving," "Elegy for Elsabet," "(Manifest)," and "Wellington's Wednesday." Encore #1: "Utilities," "Civil Twilight," and "Pamphleteer." Encore #2: "Confessions of a Futon Revolutionist" and "Psalm for the Elks Lodge Last Call." A great set, for sure, though I miss the days of them playing their older slower songs, such as "None of the Above," "Everything Must Go," and "Without Mythologies." (I can only recall hearing them play those songs once, and that was the very first time I saw them live, back in 2002-ish.) Noticeably absent: "Watermark." And I've given up on them playing "This Is a Firedoor," since they haven't played that the past couple times I've seen them. However, "Elegy" and "Sounds Familiar" were both nice surprises. Also, the new slide-guitar solo that Stephen Carroll added to "Pamphleteer" makes the song even more unbelievably awesome. Makes me wish they'd re-record it so everyone could hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment